2012-08-25

Reading


"I don't think that 'possible readers' are really the context in which poetry is written. For myself it's never been the case. If one plays to the gallery in that way, I think it's extraordinarily distracting. The whole performance of writing then becomes some sort of odd entertainment of persons one never meets and probably would be embarrassed to meet in any case. So I'm only interested in what I can articulate with the things given me as confrontation. I can't worry about what it costs me. I don't think any man writing can worry about what the act of writing costs him, even though at times he is very aware of it."

Still thinking about costs, motivations, interactions…

(from the Paris Review, "The Art of Poetry No. 10," an interview with Robert Creeley)

No comments:

Post a Comment